It was a bumpy ride on the road to planning the official launch and we worked around the clock to create a fabulous event. During the ups and downs, we added new hats to our personal collection - that of event planners, decorators, budgetary gurus, and miracle workers.
We had been laying the groundwork for the event since the summer of ‘09, when it was first slated to take place! But as with everything in business, it often takes twice as much preparation and money to complete a new phase.
We moved our first date to re-strategize marketing. Our second date was moved for us when the venue canceled our reservations a week before Mercedes Benz Fashion Week!
Barely any designer can escape the drama of fashion week…amongst all the drama, we managed to host an amazing launch. Here are some tips on planning your own event:
1. Provide take-away materials for the attendees to hold on to. This must include your company description, product description, price points, contact information, and ways to purchase your products. During our event, we gave away press kits containing the Hemma catalog, sales sheet, about us information page, the Hemma and Hemma Foundation press release, and an amazing giveaway.
2. Give the public strong representations of your work! Showcase your products in the best way possible by allowing the public to step into a space that embraces your company’s vision. For the launch, we wanted to share the Hemma experience. There was warm golden décor with tropical floral arrangements, delicious hor’dourves, carefully selected wines, chic models, amazing black stylized mannequins to display garments, and a great loft space to host the event.
3. Have your invites arrive at least two weeks before the event!
4. Create buzz to increase the amount of attendees. A great tool to use is online marketing, a quick and easy way to get the information out to countless people. We researched different media outlets and industry personnel that we wanted to attend our event and sent them our press kits and evites. This proved to be beneficial as the majority of attendees were the ones we connected with online.
5. Know when to splurge and when to cut corners! There are countless components that go into planning an event. The cost can sky-rocket quickly if attention is not paid to every detail. Cutting corners in the right areas can save several hundred dollars. Being a luxe brand, we had to be very strategic on when to cut corners and when to splurge:
· SPLURGE: Great stylized mannequins were a major component in displaying our clothing and something that we can use on future events.
· SAVE: Instead of opting with a modeling agency and paying an agency fee, we used Model Mayhem to select models from varying agencies while cutting out the middle man.
· SAVE: For catering, we used an amazing chef that happened to be a friend. Tapping into the resources around you is a great way to save money!
SPLURGE: Styling for our collection was definitely a splurge. Presenting our garments with pieces of similar quality was a must for the Hemma Team.
6. Get a great photographer to capture the event. Using a videographer is definitely a plus for future marketing.
7. Enjoy the event! It is easy to get tied up with all the mayhem that goes on behind the scenes when hosting an event. During the event mingle, relax, and marvel at the results of your hard work.